K2P Course: OSTOMY
Ostomy Management for Adults & Infants
Offered by the Canadian Association for Enterostomal Therapy, nurse specialists in wound, ostomy and continence management, this course is geared towards the non-specialist licensed nurse or allied health care provider in a variety of practice settings with the goal of improving and strengthening the ostomy care team and ostomy care for your patients.
What to Expect
Join colleagues from across the country for this CAET-K2P Competency Builders Course:
- 10-12 weeks of guided learning supported by Canadian ET Nurses; specialists in ostomy management.
- Individualized support and feedback guide you through graded assignments and discussion forums.
- Best practices course content from easily available text books and journals.
- Course load depends on prior knowledge but usually about 8-10 hours per week
- Courses start in January and in September
- Registration closes one month before the start date or when the course is full.
Each lesson unit Includes textbook readings, presentations and journal articles. Information includes care of the adult and care of the child with an ostomy.
- A&P of the gastrointestinal and genitourinary systems
- Surgical procedures patient assessment
- Abdominal assessment
- Stoma assessment
- Peristomal skin assessment
- Effective pouching
- Management of tubes and drains
By the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define evidence supported theory in ostomy management;
- Describe the effective use of ostomy assessment tools;
- Determine the proper selection of ostomy products to manage effluent;
- Solve problems through effective troubleshooting;
- Demonstrate how to teach patients living with an ostomy and or their care givers to manage their ostomy;
- Identify situations where consultation with the ET nurse ostomy specialist is appropriate.
Download the Ostomy Course pamphlet (PDF)