ETNEP Program: Admission Requirements
Requirements for Admission
- Must be fluent in English or French both orally and in writing;
- Evidence of successful academic achievement in the completion of a Baccalaureate Degree in nursing or related field (official transcript)
- Please note– Applicants who completed their Baccalaureate Degree outside of Canada or the United States must submit a formal credential evaluation completed by a recognized Canadian Credential Evaluation Service;
- Evidence of two years of relevant experience;
- Overall good health and physical capability to perform the Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nursing role;
- Current RN licensure in the province where the clinical preceptorship is to be done;
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certificate;
- Current immunization;
- Access to a personal computer and internet (high speed is recommended);
- Two letters of recommendation and;
- Evidence of full time (around 2 years employment) or 3,900 hours (in 2 years) as a clinical nurse
Entrance to the program is competitive. Please follow the application procedures carefully, and complete and submit all materials for application by the deadline. Applications received after the deadline may not be accepted.
Requirements for the ETNEP Program
- Computer – either a PC or a MAC
- Internet Connection
- Windows Media Player
- Quick Time
- Application Form.
- $50 non-refundable Application Fee, payable to CAET ETNEP.
- Official transcripts directly from an accredited institution. The transcript must show that you were granted, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree. Any graduate level work completed to date should also be indicated in Nursing.
- Two letters of recommendation using copies of the Applicant Reference and Referral form: one from a supervisor, one from a professional colleague, and/or from someone familiar with your academic skills.
- Copy of current RN license.
- Copy of current CPR or BCLS Certificate and
- Evidence of current immunization.
- Two-step TB test (should be within 12 months of course start date). If positive provide a chest x-ray.
- Hepatitis B
- Chickenpox Titers
- Tetanus, Diphtheria booster (within the last 10 years)
- Yearly Influenza vaccine
- Copy of current Mask Fit test
- Statement of computer competence.
- Statement of professional goals.
- Current resume/professional history.
- Applications for the CAET ETNEP are accepted throughout the year. Deadlines for complete applications are May 28 for Fall enrolment and October 31st for Spring enrolment. Submit all application materials, together with the $50 non-refundable application fee, to:
- Suzanne Sarda
- CAET Academy Administrative Assistant
- 1873 Chaine Court
- Ottawa, ON, K1C 2W6
- Office: (613) 834-1262 or toll free at 1-877-614-1262
- Fax: (613) 834-6351
- Student copies of transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts should be sent directly from the educational institution to the Administrative Assistant (address above)
- Official transcripts indicating a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a recognized university.
- If your baccalaureate degree is in another field, official transcripts indicating your BS/BA degree plus official transcripts from your nursing diploma.
Submit the following documents with your completed application:
- Application Form.
- Copy of current RN license;
- Copy of current CPR or BCLS Certificate;
- Evidence of professional nursing association membership;
- Evidence of immunization – current mantoux (TB) skin test, Hepatitis B vaccination, tetanus immunization within 10 years;
- Copy of current Mask Fit test;
- Statement of computer competence (a brief paragraph telling us what you can do, for example, ability to use Microsoft Word, compose and send e-mail, download attached files, attach files to e-mails, access the Internet, etc.);
- Statement of Professional Goals – a narrative of a maximum of one (1) double-spaced word-processed page, including your name at the top. In preparing your statement, please explain why ET nursing is your preferred clinical area of focus. Please address the following questions in your explanation:
- Why have you chosen ET nursing and what factors influenced this choice?
- How has your nursing career prepared you for ET nursing and what factors influenced this choice?
- What are your professional and educational goals? How do you expect this ET nursing program will help you to achieve them?
- The information requested is wide-ranging in order to make the best possible match between your expectations, learning and experience, and the capacities and goals of the CAET ETNEP. Your resume should include the following: Insure that your name appears at the top of each page.
- Formal educational achievements (most recent listed first), including any credentials (degrees, certificates, diplomas, etc.) awarded;
- Other training/educational experiences (for example, courses, workshops, etc.) that relate to Enterostomal Therapy (ET) nursing;
- Informal/non-formal activities or life experiences that relate to your career and educational goals;
- Professional employment history (most recent listed first), with enough detail to adequately describe the experiences and your level of responsibility including total full-time years as a Registered Nurse;
- Publications, professional presentations, and research activities;
- Membership and leadership involvement in professional organizations and governance activities (for example, participation in work committees);
- Grants, scholarships and awards you have received; and
- Your volunteer, important hobby and community activities.
Please Note: You are responsible for following up on your application and ensuring that all materials have been received at the CAET Academy offices by the application deadline. Please contact the Admin Office to ensure your file has been received and is complete.